Mark Sisco, M.D.
501 Skokie Boulevard
Northbrook, IL 60062
Phone: (847) 504-2333
Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Removing Breast Implants: Dr. Sisco Answers 5 of Your Most Frequently Asked Questions
Are you considering removing your breast implants? Whether it’s due to personal preference, lifestyle changes, or concerns about implant-related issues, gathering as much information as possible is essential to making the right decision for your situation.
This post will answer 5 frequently asked questions about breast implant removal, also called explant surgery.
1. What Are the Most Common Reasons for Choosing Breast Implant Removal?
Patients choose breast implant removal for several reasons:
- Implant rupture
- Capsular contracture (hardening of scar tissue around the implant)
- Dissatisfaction with the appearance or feel of implants
- Changes in personal preference or lifestyle
- Concerns about long-term health effects, such as breast implant illness or BIA-ALCL.
2. What Changes in Breast Appearance Can I Expect After Implant Removal?
It’s natural to wonder how your breasts will look and feel after implant removal. The changes you may experience depend on several factors, including the size and type of implants, the length of time they’ve been in place, and the elasticity of your breast tissue.
After removal, your breasts will appear smaller, with potential changes in shape, firmness, and position. Some patients may experience sagging or drooping due to the loss of implant support. However, each patient’s results will vary, and your surgeon should work closely with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your concerns.
3. What Is the Breast Implant Removal Procedure Like?
Following sedation, an incision will be made, usually along the original incision site or in the natural crease under the breast. This allows for the precise removal of the implant. If necessary, a capsulectomy may be performed to remove the capsule of scar tissue around the implant. Great care is taken to minimize scarring and promote optimal healing.
4. Can a Breast Lift Be Combined With Implant Removal?
If you’re considering breast implant removal, you may want to consider pairing the procedure with a breast lift. A breast lift addresses sagging or drooping breasts by reshaping and elevating them to a more youthful position. Pairing a breast lift with implant removal can provide a more attractive result, especially if you have concerns about breast ptosis (sagging).
During your consultation, your skin’s elasticity and the degree of natural breast tissue present will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your surgeon should develop an appropriate treatment plan to achieve your desired outcome.
5. How Much Does Breast Implant Removal Cost?
Breast implant removal surgery in Chicago’s North Shore area varies depending on the specific details of your procedure. Below are general price ranges:
- Breast implant removal: $3,000 to $4,900
- Breast implant removal and lift: $9,250 to $11,000
- En bloc capsulectomy with breast implant removal: $7,000 to $9,000
- Breast implant removal with lift and en bloc capsulectomy: $10,000 to $12,500
During your consultation, your surgeon will assess your needs and provide a personalized quote for the procedure that aligns with your desired outcomes.
Request a Consultation
View our gallery to see more before-and-after photos of breast implant removal patients.